The Cannock Chase Special Area of Conservation (SAC) Partnership is seeking views on its plans for how the internationally important wildlife habitats on Cannock Chase will be protected in the future. The Partnership has produced two plans that set out how it will improve the visitor infrastructure at Cannock Chase, including the car parks, footpaths and visitor centres. They also look at how to raise awareness of the vital role visitors can play in protecting this special area.
The consultation runs until 29 November 2019. To read the plans and other relevant documents, please visit the consultation website at www.haveyoursaycannockchase.org.uk.
Reference copies of the plans are also available in the reception of:
- Stafford Borough Council at Riverside, Civic Centre, Stafford ST16 3AQ
- East Staffordshire Borough Council at The Town Hall, King Edward Place, Burton upon Trent DE14 2EB
- South Staffordshire District Council at Wolverhampton Road, Codsall, South Staffordshire, WV8 1PX
- Lichfield District Council at Frog Ln, Lichfield WS13 6HS
- Cannock Chase District Council at Civic Centre, Beecroft Road, Cannock, Staffs WS11 1BG
- The City of Wolverhampton Council at Civic Centre, St Peters Square, Wolverhampton, WV1 1SH
- Staffordshire County Council at 1 Staffordshire Place, Stafford, ST16 2DH
2.4 million people visit Cannock Chase every year. With increased housing development and a growing population, the number of people visiting Cannock Chase is expected to go up by 15 to 20 percent by 2026.
The two plans set out how to make sure there will be space for everyone to continue to enjoy the open air and natural beauty of Cannock Chase, without hurting its protected habitats and species.
Money has already been collected from developers of new housing developments that are built near Cannock Chase. This will be used to fund improvements to the Chase’s visitor infrastructure, provide better information, and work with visitors and landowners to help protect the site.
Once the plans are finalised, the improvements to Cannock Chase’s visitor infrastructure will start from early 2020 onwards.
Cannock Chase SAC Partnership includes: Stafford Borough Council, Cannock Chase District Council, Lichfield District Council, South Staffordshire District Council, East Staffordshire District Council, the City of Wolverhampton Council, Staffordshire County Council, Natural England, Forestry England, Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, National Trust, RSPB and Cannock Chase AONB.